Sunday, September 6, 2009

Observational Sketch




Over the weekend I decided that I needed to start drawing finished things on a regular basis. For a while I did these observational drawings in undergrad and had continued to do them every so often in grad school but eventually stopped . But since I have used the observational drawing as an assignment in a College Life Drawing class that I am teaching , I feel the need to restart the practice (plus I'll only get better) . These things demand a lot of concentration and editing since thy are just straight pen and ink with no underdrawing. Funny thing is for a time I though my old undergrad teacher Alberto Rey was the only person who did them. But after some looking, I came to find there are a ton of artists that do them , one of my favorite being bad ass Illustrator Tin Salamunic. Anyways more to come soon !

4 comments:

  1. Nice! I ought to use these for some of my intermediate students this year. Do you have any interesting parameters for these, or are you just putting ink to page, and drawing everything within eyesight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bingo , just draiwng everything in sight . Pen and ink to page ,no "crtl Z". Can you handle it Sam?.........Can you?.And I have them concentrate on positioning themselves in an interesting environment and getting the most out of a simple felt-tip marker .I'm deffinetly going to be doing one at least once a week

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on it. I can handle it. I'll do them along with my students so they don't feel so lost and alone, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool sketch man, that's surprisingly hard to do. I like how Van Gogh-ish it feels.

    ReplyDelete